23 April 2012

Victoria I in Stockholm, 26 February 2012

This blog is hopefully now awaking from it's hibernation of the past two months, as today I have finalized my master's thesis and will be submitting it to the university tomorrow. This will (hopefully) give me the time and energy to start updating this blog more often again. I still have a notable backlog of images from this winter and the summer cruise season will begin in a little over a week, so there is and will be plenty of stuff to add.

Also, I am now back to workin on my old computer (the one used at the time this blog was started), which has been upgraded with a new graphic card and a new screen. Since the colours with this new combination are not quite the same as with the old one, please let me know if there is a notable shift in the way the "new" images in this and upcoming entries look like compared to the old ones. Now, on to today's entry:

Victoria I

IMO 9281281
Built 2004, Aker Finnyards Rauma, Finland
Tonnage 40 975 GT
Length 193,80 m
Width 29,00 m
Draugth 6,50 m
Ice class 1A Super
2 500 passengers
2 252 berths
400 cars
1 000 lanemeters
4 Wärtsilä diesels, combined 26 240 kW
2 propellers
2 bow thrusters
Speed 22 knots

Very little to say about the ship that would not already have been covered in previous entries. For a brief history of the ship see here. The photographs here show the Victoria I arriving in Stockholm's Värtahamnen on the morning of 26 February 2012. Click on the images to see them in larger size.

Inbound to Värtan, with Lidingö in the background.
Notice the ice on the sides of the ship (most notably on the Tallink-text and the black window stripe), the result of spray from the open sea freezing when it hits the ship.
The ship did quite a complex turn when coming in; here she is actually sailing away from Värtan and towards Lidingö before reversing to quay.
Reversing into quay, with Scandic Hotel Ariadne (originally the Silja Hotel Ariadne) in the background. If this image and the two above look slightly "fake", that's because they are. The ship and the background have been treated separately to get the ship to stand out of from the background with needing to sacrifice the rich colours of the sky and other background objects.

4 comments:

  1. That's true cold Kalle, beautiful ship, not so keen about the stern, but otherwise perfect

    BR
    Vitor

    ReplyDelete
  2. The design is quite basic but it does work nicely (except for the stern). In terms of layout the ship is pretty much a copy of the Viking Cinderella. For the stern it almost seems like they wanted to do it in anti-Cinderella style - the Cinderella's stern leans outwards in rather unbecoming manner and this one does the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kalle, I learn so much from your blog, I love the ferries in your part of the world, never been there, your posts and photos gives me the opportunity to be there every day, which is priceless

    BR
    Vitor

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's my pleasure! Particularly as I enjoy your blogs from a part of the world where I have never been (strangely enough).

    ReplyDelete