21 July 2018

Viking XPRS in Helsinki, 23 June 2018

I know I said in last week's entry that we would be looking at the Isosaari this time, but I changed my mind. Instead, we are looking at what is still one of my favourite ships in these waters in terms of exterior design, the Viking XPRS.

Viking XPRS

IMO 9375654
Built 2008, Aker Yards Helsinki, Finland
Tonnage 35 778 GT
Length 186,71 m
Width 27,70 m
Draugth 6,75 m
Ice class 1A Super
2 500 passengers
732 berths
230 cars
1 000 lanemeters
4 Wärtsilä diesels, combined 40 000 kW
2 propellers
2 bow thrusters
1 stern thruster
Speed 25 knots

For a history of the Viking XPRS, see this entry.

The photos below show the Viking XPRS passing through the Kustaanmiekka strait en-route to Helsinki Eteläsatama (South Harbour) on the evening of 23 June 2018. Photographed from Kustaanmiekka. As always, click on the images to see them in larger size.

I have to admit that the Grace-style hull stripes are starting to grow on me.
Ten years old this year, but still very sleek!
Although I do wish they'd paint an additional black stripe along the bridge windows, she does look a bit unblanced the way she is.
Also, how many ships out there have had their aft superstructure expanded twice, with no effect on the ship's profile? Because this one has.

Kships will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment